Saturday, August 11, 2007

Random Thoughts from the Inn

Last night was another bad sleep night. About half an hour after I fell asleep, I got a call.

Man: "Hi. I know it's late but I'm here to check in."
Me: "What's the last name?"
Man: "A____"
Me: "There's an envelope on the office door with your name on it and your room key inside."
Man: "I don't see it...oh, here it is." click

Grrr. His was the only envelope I left out last night. Somehow he could read the sign on the left side of the double door that said to dial 0 on the phone to reach me but couldn't see the envelope with his name on it on the right side of the double door.

LW woke up shortly after that. Following our usual nightly routine, we came down to sit on the couch in the living room. While I was waiting for him to fall back asleep, I heard noise on the deck. Sure enough, someone's in the hot tub. Put sleeping baby down, go back downstairs and kick guest out of hot tub.

Blech.

Fortunately, breakfast this morning was a breeze. I had to open early for the racers, but I prepped everything I possibly could last night, so I had no trouble opening by the promised time this morning, and the guests paced themselves very nicely. I even had time to give touring advice to several people and try to call ahead to arrange a room for tonight for our British guests. (As it turned out, the Rough Guide to New England was 0 for 2 on getting the correct phone numbers for the listed hotels--one number connected me to a Catholic parish--so I directed the guests to the welcome center off of the interstate.)

Oh, and four days of patience paid off. I caught an r-a-t last night. You know, I hate the thought of killing most things, but I am remarkably hard-hearted when it comes to rats. As long as Michael isn't home, that is. He has a habit of making up a story about, for example, the baby rats waiting for their mother to come home, and next thing I know I'm crying over the rat.

No comments: