Saturday, August 25, 2007

Ginger Pye

Much to everyone's relief, the kids and I finished Ginger Pye today. How, how, did this book win the Newberry Medal? Nineteen fifty-two must have been a bad year for children's literature.

There was not enough plot for 306 pages, and the characters were not compelling. All of us figured out the big mystery about 150 pages sooner than Jerry and Rachel, which makes them look more than a little stupid.

Michael has pointed out numerous times that we should have just stopped reading, but NB wanted to finish and I hate to abandon a book, so we kept plugging along. But it sure does feel good to be done.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I got this book for K from a garage sale. I couldn't remember where I'd heard of it. Crap, now I remember I heard about it here, and it wasn't favorable.