Monday, August 27, 2007

Fall Reading List

As I've been wrapping up my summer reading, I've been thinking of what I want to read this fall. I'm currently looking at reading the following between now and the beginning of Advent:
  • Finn: A Novel by Jon Clinch. Michael read it this summer and had nothing but good things to say about it. I believe he knows the author slightly through an online community and met him at a book signing in our area. (But I might be confusing this author with someone else.)
  • The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. I've been meaning to read this book for years. It comes highly recommended from many sources and I finally bought a copy with some Christmas money this year. Now is finally the time to read it. I started it today, in fact.
  • Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross. Michael's parents gave me this book when they were visiting last week. I'm intrigued.
  • The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels. Another book that, like The Sparrow, has been sitting on my shelves for quite a while. I see from my bookmark that I read the first half at one point, but I will need to start over. This will be my Sunday reading. I noticed that Amazon's book has more pages than mine and a different copyright, so I'm wondering if I have the latest version . . .
  • Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. This was recommended by someone on a message board I frequent when I asked for good nonfiction suggestions.
  • Becoming Jane Austen by Jon Spence. I saw the movie with Michael's parents and I'm intrigued about the evidence behind the story.
  • The Rebels of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. A continuation of the Dublin Saga.
I'd also really like to read these:
But I'm worried that eight books is too many to commit to reading. How sad is that?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I read Pope Joan a few years ago. Gnostic Gospels has also been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.

Minda said...

Did you like Pope Joan?