Monday, May 26, 2008

Trip to the nursery

Today IM, LW and I went to a local nursery to pick out some perennials for the annual bed. Yes, I know, that doesn't make sense. The previous inn owner was a more devoted gardener than I am, and she had one flower bed set aside for annuals.

Frankly, I have a hard time keeping up with the weeding, let alone any other garden chores, and it seemed I planted the annuals later and later every year. As a result, they looked worse and worse every year. This year, I got smart. Who says we have to have an annual bed?

So off to the nursery we went.

I asked NB if he wanted to come.

"Are you getting a Venus flytrap?"
Uhm, no.
"Well, are you getting any meat-eating plants?"

He decided regular plants were not worth the trip.

IM's job was to keep an eye on LW while I paced up and down the row trying to pick out plants. I am horribly indecisive about plants, and the fact that I'm really not sure what kind of soil I have only makes things worse.

IM, however, lucked out. Right at the end of the perennial section was a sandbox with lots of trucks. Lots of trucks and no other kids. There was even a chair right next to it for IM to sit on. It was the least stressful trip to a nursery I have had with kids.

Until I wanted to leave.

"Mommy, I don't want to go home! I want to stay here 'ever!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My biggest challenge with perennials is getting ones that do okay in the shade, or do okay in the full sun, and ones that do well overwintering in our climate. I know soil is an issue too, but I guess after trying to solve the other conditions I just hope they'll survive in our soil.

Weeding is constantly a problem and causes more wear and tear on the body than I'd like.

OR Mom