Friday, May 30, 2008

Little pitchers have big ears

This week, my driving CD has been a compilation of songs my dad put together for me a couple of years ago. It's an eclectic mix that includes, among other things, a song about a pirate who wants to sing and dance and a song begging Prince Charles not to marry Dianna.

(What can I say? It's the music I grew up with.)

I've answered a fair number of questions from the older kids about the lyrics, but I didn't think LW was old enough to pick up on any of it. Ha. In his defense, he did give me warning. The other day, we were driving along listening to John McCutcheon's Water from Another Time when LW pipes up, "Why them need water from 'other time?" I skipped right over the central metaphor and just stuck to trying to explain priming the pump. That conversation was difficult enough.

So I shouldn't have been surprised when he asked yesterday, "Mommy, what Chee-cago?"

Chicago? Why is he asking about Chicago? And then I heard the song playing. Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown, which starts out, "The South Side of Chicago is the baddest part of town." Mentally I flipped through the rest of the lyrics. Hmm. Gambler who flirts with another man's wife and ends up "like a jig saw puzzle with a couple of pieces gone."

That's the nice thing about CD players. You can quickly skip ahead to the John McCutcheon songs.

No comments: