Friday, September 21, 2007

Things you shouldn't have to say

I've been paying more attention to food labels lately, for a couple of reasons. This week is the annual challenge in the Valley to eat only local food, so I'm paying attention to where my food comes from. I'm trying to reduce my consumption of high fructose corn syrup, which turns up in some surprising places. And NB and IM have a classmate with peanut allergies this year, so I have to make sure that the snacks they take to school are peanut free.

It's nice that the labels come right out and say clearly whether the food contains peanuts or was made in a plant that also makes products containing peanuts. But I did laugh out loud when I read on my jar of organic peanut butter "CONTAINS PEANUTS."

Some things you just shouldn't have to say.

No comments: