Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Surprise!

In our kitchen this afternoon . . .

EM: Mom, does H_____ (our junior high and high school) have a football team?
Me: I'm pretty sure they do. Why?
EM: 'Cause I think I'd like to try out for the team next year.

Football? He wants to play football? Whatever gave him that idea?

It turns out that the boys have been playing football during recess, and EM has quite the interception streak going (five in three days). He thinks he's a pretty good player. Which he may very well be, but football just isn't the sport I thought he'd choose.

Soccer? Sure. He's been playing on the rec teams since he was four. Basketball? Why not? That's what Michael played for fun when he was growing up and EM has the long, lean look I associate with basketball players. But football? Is that even safe?

It's just one more example of what I've been pondering lately--life's endless ability to surprise me. Time and again, I've been walking along, enjoying the trip when BAM! out of nowhere comes something completely unexpected. An exciting opportunity drops in my lap. A business endeavor turns rocky. Someone I thought I knew very well turns out to have a side I never would have guessed.

Who could have known? And would I want to? My life has turned out so differently--in both good and challenging ways--from anything I imagined. I think I'm learning to accept that. And I'm thankful every day for the wonderful people with whom I share the journey.

(And on a completely unrelated note: If you were a toddler, where would you put the rubber sealant ring for the blender?)

No comments: