Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Cloister Walk

Yesterday I finished The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris. Did you know that you can become a Benedictine oblate even if you are married? And even more suprising, even if you are not Catholic?

I told Michael when all the kids are grown, I'd like to spend several months living near a monastary and attending all the church services. He thinks I'm totally nuts.

I find myself wanting to read the Psalms. (The Benedictines sing through the entire book of Psalms every four weeks.) Also the writings of the early monks called the Desert Fathers. The excerpts Kathleen Norris shares are surprisingly accessible. I enjoy John Climacus's statement that "the man who claims to love the Lord but is angry with his neighbor is like a man who dreams he is running."

I also found the chapters on celibacy fascinating:

When mature celibates talk about the value of celibacy, "freedom" is a word they commonly use. Freedom to keep their energies focused on ministry and communal living, freedom to love many people without being unfaithful to any of them. . . . One reason many celibates find satisfaction in working as teachers, spiritual directors, and pastoral ministers may be that it provides ample opportunity to help others grow. "To donate the self as a gift to others; that's the vow of celibacy," one sister told me.

Overall, I found it an intriguing look into another life, and one that gave me much to think about. I highly recommend it.

No comments: