Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Attention Settlers of Catan!

Do you know about Struggle for Rome? Michael and EM discovered it during a Catan tournament at our local game store. When they won first and second place, they generously used their prize money to buy a family copy. They taught NB and I to play on Sunday afternoon, during LW's conveniently long nap.

Fun, fun, fun. Of course, it helps that I narrowly beat EM out to win from behind. Afterwards, I felt a little bad, wondering if I should have pulled my punches slightly. I know how frustrating it is to be the one at the top that everyone tries to shoot down, and then lose at the end anyway. But Michael and I decided long ago that we weren't going to "let" our kids win--that if they won they would know it was because they truly beat us. And EM was a good sport about his loss.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

OOOOOh, I'll have to try that out because we LOVE Settlers!

Minda said...

Yes, we credit our Settlers addiction to you and Mike.

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

If by "good sport" you mean he was crying. Learning to lose gracefully is one of those important life skills that are not learned easily. Not sure I've entirely managed it myself...