Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Princess of Cleves

Wanting to continue reading books about France, I scoured our shelves for something appropriate and found this book left from Michael's college days.

Once you get past the info dump on who was who in the court of Henri II, this is an easy read. Of course, I had Michael's margin notes to guide me: Important page. Theory of romantic love.

The Princess of Cleves is a woman faced with a dilemma: tell her husband she is in love with another man so he can help her avoid tempting situations? Or keep her love a secret and risk succumbing?

I think Anna Karenina would make a fascinating contrast, but my memories are twenty years old and far too fuzzy. I went so far as to pick my copy off the shelf, considering re-reading it. The sight of the 868 closely typewritten pages dissuaded me, and I put it back. I'm not quite that curious.

No comments: