Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

In honor of Father's Day, here are five of my dad's top parenting moments, not necessarily in order:

  1. One night when I was little, I was afraid to go to sleep because I was worried I would be attacked by vampires. (Specifically, the Count from Sesame Street.) When all the usual methods for calming a frightened child failed, Dad hit on the brilliant idea of making a sign that said "Vampires Go Home" and hanging it in my bedroom. I went right to sleep.
  2. When I was about 8, I got a hula hoop for my birthday. I remember I had to go on a treasure hunt to find my presents, and it was the final one, the big prize. I loved that hula hoop. One day, I discovered that S had cut it open with a butter knife "to see what made the noise." I was furious. First, it was obvious it was a ball bearing inside. Second, even after we taped it together with duck tape, the hula hoop was ruined. Dad decided to use some Old Testament philosophy (eye for an eye and all that) and told me that in relatiation I could smash S's favorite toy, a plastic red caboose. With a hammer. I felt vindicated for a host of little-brother annoyances. For once, my parents had taken my side.*
  3. Dad attended all my orchestra and choir concerts. Even the ones that conflicted with the Blazers' NBA playoff games. This is something I appreciate more and more the older my kids get. Even with multiple kids in the school, there are still a lot of musical numbers featuring only other people's kids.
  4. Dad helped me with calculus. I have new appreciation for how quickly advanced math concept fade from memory when you're not using them. Dad devised a clever and very effective strategy. He asked questions about the problem, and in the process of answering them, I usually figured out the answer. It's a strategy I'm going to need to dust off soon.
  5. Dad supported my summer in Switzerland after my sophomore year in college. Mom had enough reservations that I wouldn't have been able to convince her on my own. It was a fantastic experience, and real turning point for me in terms of my belief in my own capabilities.

* Important disclaimer: I understand this experience looks very different from my brother's perspective. And I learned much, much later that my dad actually didn't expect me to go through with it. He thought I would feel bad for my brother, spare his toy, and forgive him. Oops. I didn't exactly live up to his expectations. And yet, although I am a little ashamed about that, even now, almost 30 years later, I still feel a thrill when I think of smashing that caboose. Sorry, S! I am also sure that my parents took my side many, many times. I just tended to focus on the times they didn't. But we all grew up, and I am happy to be the middle sibling and glad S and I grew so close in high school. So don't worry, Mom!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, you seem to be forgetting the great advice he gave to the victim of a biting younger sibling! That definitely ranks way up there in my book!
-K

PixelFish said...

I want to hear the biting advice!!!

Also, I would have smashed the caboose too, given half a chance. Or I would have asked that it be added to my toys until my sibling had earned enough to buy me a new hula hoop. (Although J is of the opinion that would cause another problem and not really solve the first one.)

One time one of my cousins on the other side CUT the hair off of my Rainbow Brite horse....AND NOTHING HAPPENED. The injustice still rankles.

Anonymous said...

The biting advice follows along the whole "eye for an eye" line. Basically, I was told to bite back. As Minda was the initial biter, I can understand how she left this off her list! And because I was not sure that I would escape parental disapproval, that I hid under my bed after delivering the "bite back bite". However, all was well in the end, at least in my view. I didn't get in trouble for heeding parental advice, and Minda never bit me again!
-K

Anonymous said...

Ooops, should have previewed my comment before posting! Ignore the second "that" in the clunky sentence.
-K