Friday, June 27, 2008

Gosh I feel young!

Last night I went to a book discussion group at the library, the first in a series discussing religion. The book this month was Huston Smith's Why Religion Matters.

There were fourteen people there, and only two of us under the age of 40. Probably 50. Possibly even 60. (The one woman whose age I know for sure is 90.) The discussion was interesting, even feisty at times, and I'm interested in the upcoming books so I'll probably go next month.

Still, it would have been nice to have a few more people within shouting distance of my age.

* In case you were wondering, the general consensus of the group was that while we could come up with various reasons why religion did or did not matter, Smith didn't make a very clear case for why it did. I was late picking up the book (Wednesday at 2:30, to be exact) and only read the first third, so I can't judge myself. Reaction from the group was negative enough that I'm not planning to finish it at this time.

No comments: