Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick-or-treat memories

For some reason, all the best Halloween stories involve NB.

The first year he went trick-or-treating, he was almost three. (The year he was almost one, he got sick on Halloween. The next year, he refused to put on his costume. His very cute, handmade costume. No, I'm not still disappointed. Whatever gave you that idea?) He and IM picked out matching pumpkin costumes. They were very cute.

Walking away from his first house, he beamed at me and said, "Mommy, it's beautiful! I say 'trick-or-treat' and they give me CANDY!"

When the Vietnam vet amputee opened the door, instead of saying "Trick-or-Treat" NB said, "What happened to your leg?" I cringed, because this guy always struck me as being a bit rough and cranky, but he was actually very good with NB.

At the next door, the woman said, "Oh, what cute pumpkins." NB leaned toward her and stage whispered, "I have something to tell you. I'm not actually a pumpkin. I'm a little boy, dressed as a pumpkin."

The next year, he picked out a Batman costume. It took some talking to get him to put it on, but when it came time to go to bed that night, he didn't want to take it off. "But I'm the real Batman!"

No comments: