Saturday, October 4, 2008

George Washington did not sleep here

We're full up with leaf peepers tonight, including several rooms of foreigners or recent immigrants. One stopped by just as I was closing up the office.

He asked for bottled water, which we don't have, and I had to reassure him several times that yes, the water in the bathroom faucet was straight from our own well, was tested regularly, and was perfectly good to drink. (Where do these people think bottled water comes from? Or pretends to come from, anyway.)

We've gotten the water question before. But then, as I turned to go, he surprised me.

"So, George Washington's* house is near here? That's what I was told."

No, not here. In fact, there's no real evidence that Washington ever visited our state, although it's possible. We do have a Washington county, but doesn't every state?

I hope he isn't too disappointed.

Moral of the story: Read guidebooks carefully when planning vacations.

* It occurs to me that he might be confusing Washington with Coolidge. I'll have to remember to ask at breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: