Friday, October 3, 2008

Five things I've learned about plastic surgery

Note: Not for the squeamish.

Tuesday I had two moles on my face removed. Because of their size and location, the removal had to be done by a plastic surgeon. Here are the lessons I've learned so far:
  1. Lips don't like to be cut into and do not hesistate to let you know their displeasure by swelling up to a truly amazing size.
  2. The bluish tint to the superglue they put over the stitches really enhances the Frankenstein's monster look.
  3. The sound and smell of the cauterizer is disturbing even if you can't feel it.
  4. Although I am very susceptible to pain medication like Tylenol, Advil, and whatever they use in epidurals, this sensitivity doesn't seem to extend to locally injected numbing agents like they use in plastic surgery and dental work. I need a lot of it, and it wears off quickly.
  5. It's unnerving to feel blood running down your face, even if you can't feel the pain of the injury.
The good news is that the swelling has receded enough that I can eat and talk again, and LW has stopped commenting on my stitches every time he sees me.

1 comment:

PixelFish said...

Ouchies. Sounds a mite painful. Here's to your continuing recovery though.