Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sunday Soup 4

This week's soup was Ribollita--The Tuscan Minestrone. Essentially it's a vegetable soup with one cup of white beans added. It had onion, leek, carrot, celery, garlic, tomato, Savoy cabbage (a wrinkly little vegetable I never would have picked up on my own), potato, zucchini and Swiss chard. The soup is served with toasted, day-old bread and Parmesan cheese.

It's easy to make, although not quick. I spent about 40 minutes chopping vegetables, but after that it was simply a matter of adding the correct ingredients to the pot every hour or so.

I thought it was delicious, which is convenient because Michael gracious let me eat all the leftovers.

My two least discriminating eaters (EM and IM) gave it thumbs up. NB gave it a neutral thumb, but I think only because he was being polite.

Michael said it was his least favorite of the soups so far, but tasty. When I asked, he said it would be fine if I made it again next winter. However, I think the lack of enthusiasm for the leftovers indicates his feelings more clearly than his words.

We didn't have a side dish this week because I misjudged the amount of life left in the lettuce.

No comments: