Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Soup 2

Today's soup was Cold Weather Potato Chowder with Caraway Cheese (although I was unable to find havarti with caraway seeds in our small town and had to use plain havarti). The side dish was Roast Beef and Watercress with Horseradish Cream on Dark Bread.

The soup received 5 thumbs up. The sandwich received 4 thumbs up, although it would have had five if the red onion hadn't been so potent.

(We exlude LW from voting on the grounds that he fails to meet the basic requirement of tasting the food. He wouldn't even eat the crispy bacon on top because it was touching an onion.)

The chowder is pretty basic, except for the havarti. It also had a different thickening method than I've used in the paste--stirring in a paste made of room-temperature butter and flour at the very end of the cooking process.

As for my cooking skills, I've decided I need to chop faster. Maybe I should follow Julia Child's example and spend a day simply chopping.

No comments: