Friday, August 22, 2008

Les Miserables

My progress though my reading list has slowed to a crawl. I've hit Les Miserables.

It's long; 1463 pages to be exact. And dense. Victor Hugo apparently never met a detail he didn't like. Jean Valjean, the main character, doesn't enter the book until page 59. The first 58 pages are devoted to the character and backstory of the Bishop of Digne. Granted, the bishop's forgiveness of Valjean's theft of silver transforms Valjean and launches the main conflict of the book, but I don't think Hugo needed 58 pages of backstory to make that encounter believable.

Or maybe I've just been corrupted by the speed of modern life and entertainment and am unable to enjoy books that are more slowly paced.

In any case, I'm enjoying the book and yet I find it easy to put off reading it. My other reading project is Paul's epistles, and I've come to consider that my light reading.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We read the abridged version of Les Mis in my book group several months ago. Even that version drags in places. I can't even imagine tackling the 1463 pages of the original.

WendyandGabe said...

This is one where there is nothing missed and no shame to be found in reading the abriged. I say if you're not enjoying a book, then put it down. There are too many good books out there! (Incidently though, Les Mis is one of my favorites. . . I have only read the abridged.)

PixelFish said...

I once tackled the unabridged and I wished I hadn't. On the other hand, I completely understand the urge to have 50+ pages of backstory for a minor character.

Minda said...

See, I just can't bring myself to read abridged versions. I'd rather slog through the original.

On the plus side, I know now a lot more about the battle of Waterloo. (That's the current tangent.)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that I've already read Les Miserables. It was enjoyable enough, I guess, but it's nice to never hear that title and think that I ought to get around to reading it someday.

Grant