Friday, January 25, 2008

My new phone system

I have wanted a new phone system since our second day here at the inn. Specifically, one that would allow people to dial room extensions directly and send them to voice mail when they call in the middle of the night to make a reservation.

Many is the night I have dreamed of such a system. But other projects were always higher on the priority list. However, our old console died on us two weeks ago, bumping the phone system to the top of the queue. We are still working the kinks out of the new system, but last night we were able to turn on the auto-attendant.

When people call after we've gone to bed, they hear a lovely message: "Thank you for calling the inn. If you want to speak to a guest and you know the three-digit extension, you may dial it now. The office is closed for the evening. If you are calling to make a reservation, dial #6100 to leave a message and we will call you when the office opens in the morning. If this is an emergency, dial 0."

This morning when I came downstairs, I noticed the message light was on. Sure enough, someone called at 11:30 last night to book a room for tonight. Thanks to our new phone system, he didn't wake me up. And that means I won't gripe about him to Michael all weekend long.

So maybe it isn't worth $3000, but since we had to pay for it anyway, I'm going to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm so glad your new system will let you get some sleep -- you guys deserve it!!!