Sunday, June 4, 2017

Summer will come eventually, right?

I am not a fan of hot weather. One of the things I love about where I live is that it never gets hot. It has literally never reached 100 degrees here since they started recording temperatures.

However.

It's June.

A daily high above 69 doesn't seem too much to ask, does it? We had a high of 70 one day last week, and the forecast shows 70 as the high this coming Saturday, but our projected high tomorrow, the 5th of June, is 59. Fifty-nine.

And, although I have the webbed feet you would expect from someone born and raised in Oregon, even I get tired of this much rain in the summer.

If I weren't aware that the world does not revolve around me, it would be tempting to draw a parallel between summer's extreme tardiness in arriving and my company's extreme tardiness in deciding whether we will be moving this summer.

But humans can only live poised on the knife of uncertainty and the unknown for so long before they fall over to one side or the other.

So, despite the weather, and despite the uncertainty, we are starting to make plans for summer, in the hope that the sun will break out, and clarity will come.

The twins are each taking a college class this summer. We've tentatively blocked out a week for a family vacation, and a destination for a couple's weekend getaway. There's an outdoor concert I want to attend, and I'm 90% sure I want to train for a 5k.

But I have decided not to plant tomatoes, even though we're finally past our last frost date.

The way this summer is looking, it's doubtful I would even get one to ripen.

I'm pretty sure you need sun for that. And temps over 69.


No comments: