Saturday, January 19, 2013

Jargon part two

It was another week full of meetings. Not all weeks are like this; we're just in the meeting-heavy section of the cycle. I had five meetings on Wednesday alone, and there were at least three times this week when I had to choose which of two conflicting meetings to attend.

And as it turned out, I chose wrong at least two of the three times. One missed meeting apparently involved an intense argument, according to water-cooler talk the next day. "The most entertaining call ever." And another missed meeting resulted in a developer sending me an instant message: "Are you on a different call? I can't believe you're not objecting to this."

Fortunately, most of my meetings this week were valuable discussions resulting in good decisions.

However, they also reminded me of a word I missed in my net-net post: ask.

"Ask?" you say. "Ask isn't jargon."

Oh, but it is in this sentence, "So the ask is, what do you need from the other team to be able to implement this feature?"

Question. The word you are looking for is question.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh, wouldn't it just be so much easier if all nouns were also verbs and vice versa?