Sunday, January 20, 2013

Books 2, 3, and 4

Our book group book for January was The Swerve, the account of Poggio Bracciolini discovering a manuscript copy of On the Nature of Things by Lucretius in 1417. The details of ancient Rome, the destruction of the library of Alexandria, and Renaissance Florence and Rome were interesting, and yet my overall reaction to the book was only pleasant enjoyment. I am glad that we own a copy, since I think I will want to look up certain anecdotes later. The book also contains illustrations, including an example of Poggio's amazingly beautiful handwriting, which became the basis for our modern roman typeface. I find it ironic that a book in which Epicureanism plays a significant role was so physically unpleasant for me to read. The cover had an almost soapy film to it that made me not want to hold the book.

Michael, on the other hand, read it in a day and a half.

My exercise book was The Handmaid's Tale, a book I had heard mentioned so often I was half convinced I had read it before. I hadn't, and I found it engrossing. I was glad when it was time to get on the elliptical so I could find out if the unnamed handmaid was going to escape Gilead.

I also finished Happier at Home. I like to read something in January that inspires me to live a better life. I share many of the same challenges as the author: a tendency to not show my love for my family as I'd like to, a sometimes excessive interest in my work, and difficulty staying present in the now. Although I didn't always like what I saw in the mirror this book held up, I'm grateful for the insights I gained.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm always amazed at how many books you manage to read. I really ought to follow your example.