Sunday, July 8, 2012

CSA Success

We are participating in a CSA this summer. We did this for a couple of years and then took several years off.

The kids got sick of some of the staple CSA vegetables. Michael's Scottish blood felt it wasn't a good economic deal. Especially when I *cough* didn't use all the vegetables before they went bad.

This week--our third--we consumed the last vegetable from Wednesday's pickup at dinner on Friday.

What did I do right this week that I haven't done in other weeks?

  • Right after I unpacked the CSA bag, I sat down with my cookbooks and made a list of the recipes I would make to use the vegetables. Granted, it helped that pickup this week was on a holiday, so my day was less scheduled than usual, but even on normal weeks it would probably be possible for me to actually take a lunch break instead of eating at my desk. I posted the list on the fridge, so I wouldn't forget my plan.
  • I ate vegetables for lunch. I took a few minutes to cook lunch from scratch, and I was surprised at how little time it took. Wednesday I made Nova Scotia Hodge Podge using the potatoes, beans, onions, and some of the carrots. Thursday I made Greens with Peanut Sauce using the unidentified (not kale, not Swiss chard, not smooth spinach; is there such a thing as curly spinach?) greens. Friday I sauteed the zucchini and yellow squash in butter and added salt, pepper, and fresh basil.
I'm already wondering what we'll get this week.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Savoy spinach is sometimes called curly spinach.

As for vegetables that are past their prime, that is why you need chickens. ;-)

Denise said...

You are amazingly well organized, I don't know how you do it!