Wednesday, September 3, 2008

CSA Week 11

While IM and LW checked out the pigs and cows, I picked up the following:
  • one head of lettuce
  • one pound of baby potatoes
  • one bunch of sage (I could have chosen thyme or savory)
  • one green pepper
  • three heirloom tomatoes
  • one bunch of kale
  • two cucumbers
  • one pattypan squash
  • one zucchini
  • one crookneck squash
  • two artichokes
  • one package of country-style pork ribs
  • one package of ground beef

I could have taken as much as I would use of the pattypan and crookneck squash, but I'm getting tired of trying to find ways the kids will eat it. (Of course, since we only have a single CSA share, technically Michael and I should easily be able to eat our full take each week . . . )

I have had some success, at least with IM and EM. (NB is a pickier eater in general.) All three big kids will eat squash chopped up in a salad without complaint. IM and EM also like it in vegetable pancakes (are they still vegetables if you fry them?) and in stuffing casserole. EM joined NB in turning up her nose at squash baked with marinara sauce and cheese.

LW loves going to the farm to get the vegetables, but that love doesn't extend so far as to actually eat any of them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the vegetable pancake? Aaron swears he hates squash but will eat it if disguised. I like how you get to choose some items. I wish I could do that with my csa.