Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Engrish

My non-inn job is writing technical documentation for a software company. Our company has a partner in Japan that, among other things, handles tech support for our Japanese customers. The cases that might be related to product defects get escalated to our U.S. tech support team. Since our local guys are a bit rusty with their Japanese, the Japanese partners communicate with us in English. On good days. On the not-so-good days, we get Engrish* emails.

The one that has become something of an in-house joke came several years ago:
"Product broken! You fix!"

Tonight, I found the following in my in box:
"The customer is hurrying up. Someone gives correspondingly. I'm sorry by poor English. If the meaning of sentences is not clear, I want you to ask back."

I think he's saying the customer is in a hurry and he'd like the tech support guys to answer the previous email he sent on this issue. But it's sort of anyone's guess.

* For a definition of Engrish (and some good laughs), see www.engrish.com. Technically, these emails aren't Engrish because they aren't product advertising or design.

No comments: