Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Ten things of thankful: January edition

I intended to finish this post in time to join in the Ten Things of Thankful blog hop, but then the energy I would have spent on blogging went to working on the photo albums.

Thanks to the Sorta Awesome podcast, I've been thinking more about energy, how much I have, and how I choose the spend it. No answers yet, but I feel like I'm close to some new insights. I might write more about that later.

In the meantime, here are ten things I'm thankful for this month.

1. Safe travels

We had a lot of travel this month. Oldest son traveled back to his final semester of college. The rest of us went to Boston for a convention we attend every year. I flew straight from there to Austin for work, while Michael drove home with the kids, got them settled, and then left the next morning for Ecuador. Then I flew home from Austin at the end of the week. Amazingly, all the trips went smoothly.

2. Helpful friends and neighbors

Although our twins are 18 and responsible enough for us to leave the kids home alone, none of them drive yet, so my work trip was only possible because friends and neighbors helped with transportation, mostly for Kid 4, who had skiing and basketball while I was gone.

3. Responsible kids

I'm sure media consumption was through the roof while we were gone, but I appreciate how responsible our kids are.

4. Good books

I'm shifting my reading habits a bit this year--giving myself permission to abandon highly rated books that aren't clicking with me at this time--and so far I've really enjoyed the books I've finished. So far, I've read Until I Say Goodbye, When Breath Becomes Air, and Killers of the Flower Moon, as well as an unfinished novel. I dipped my toes in several books before settling on The Bear and the Nightingale as my current read.

5. Yoga

I've been working to incorporate a more regular nighttime yoga practice. My record is spotty, but when I manage to do even 10 minutes, I find my back feels so much better.

6. Good shows

The need for a good binge-watch has been building for a couple of months, and January seemed a good time to indulge. I loved The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (although if you're reading this and you're related to me, I wouldn't recommend it), and I've started The Crown.

7. Being able to predict which beer I will like

This is, admittedly, a small thing. But I have finally figured out how to look at a beer menu and know which one I will enjoy.

8. Escape rooms

The six of us tried one over Thanksgiving and had a great time, although we didn't escape. When I was in Austin, I went to one with a group of coworkers, and we beat the room! Although we discovered at the end that one of the things that we were supposed to need a combination for was dummy locked, and opened when one of the guys pulled on it just to see. These could turn into an expensive habit.

9. Scented candles

Michael gave me a delicious scented candle for Christmas, and I like it so much that I bought another in a different scent from the same company. It's a great winter mood lifter, and it has zero calories!

10.My standing desk converter

Years ago, I looked for one of these and didn't find any, but the market has since caught up, and for less than $150 I bought a wooden platform that I can raise or lower to convert my desk from sitting height to standing height. I enjoy alternating positions during my workday, and my back feels much better at the end of my day.

1 comment:

Pat B said...

You did it! Good to see you back. Thanks for the heads up about the show. :-)
Which of those books did you enjoy the most?
The Standing Desk Converter sounds like a very good thing for you to have. I hope your back will feel much better at the end of each work day.