Sunday, November 13, 2016

Ten things of thankful: election week


What a week. Adjusting to it being pitch black at 5:00 in the evening. The election (very bad news in our household). Tech week for the high school play. My second week of solo parenting.

So glad it's behind us.

That said, there were still things to be thankful for.

1. $10 ski boots. Yes, you read that right. There's only one zero. A neighboring town had their annual winter sports equipment consignment sale. Kid 4 said his toes were barely touching in his ski boots from last year and felt comfortable enough that he didn't need new boots. But he's 11, and this is not my first circus. I don't trust eleven-year-old feet. They grow at the most inconvenient times, and suddenly your kid is limping onto the concert floor because the required black shoes have overnight become two sizes too small.

So, I insisted we go bright and early to the sale to see if we could pick up a cheap pair of boots one size up, "just in case."

The woman fitting him said she's surprised he claimed the other boots are comfortable, because he fits the next size up quite nicely. And she found a pair that was $10. Ten dollars. It made my day.She recommended getting his bindings adjusted for the new boots and using them all season. We also found a good deal on ski pants for him and for me.

2. Library holds. The library emailed earlier this week to say that the book I had placed on hold had arrived. It was returned on a Thursday, and since it is new and I can't ever get to the library midweek, it would have been long gone by Saturday if not for the hold system.

3. Blue skies. I feel a little guilty about this one, because we are in a drought, but it's been nice to have blue skies and sun this weekend. It can rain all it wants during the week to make up for it.

4. Skype. I had two video chats with my husband this week, which is a nice change from texting. Kid 1 and I also Skyped, until our internet stopped cooperating and we switched to phone.

5. Cheap long distance. I live clear across the country from my family and from some very close friends. Saturday I had three lengthy long-distance phone calls. I can remember in my early childhood when a long-distance call was a Very Big Deal, and I'm so glad I can connect with those I love without worrying about the bill, on either side.

6. Hugs. I went seeking sugar on the morning after the election, and ran into a friend at the local bakery. She came up to me, said, "You look like you could use a hug," and hugged me. I hadn't realized until she said that how very much I did need a hug. Sometimes, when there are no words, hugs communicate best.

7. Kid 4's passion for all the things there are to learn and do in this world. And I need to remind myself that I really am grateful for this, because for the last few days, he has been pushing hard to add tai kwon do to the mix and it's just not going to work. I think he has finally heard me, at least for now. I think this because he is sighing dejectedly every time we're in the same room.

8. My Pilates class. Between one thing and another (mostly on the teacher's end), this was my first class in 6 weeks. I was dreading it just a bit, because it's always rough when you've been away from it that long, but at the same time, I knew my back would feel so much better afterwards. And it does.

9. Lavender pillow spray. My husband gets headaches from a lot of scents, so I rarely get to use it, but when he travels, I indulge. I don't know if it actually helps me sleep better, but it smells nice.

10. Voices of calm and  hope in the wake of the election. I especially appreciated the post 9 Real, Actionable Things We Can Do About Trump and the multiple repostings of this illustrated guide to what to do if you see harassment.


Ten Things of Thankful

3 comments:

Pat B said...

If you have a way, other than on the computer, of watching a DVD, perhaps one demonstrating tai kwon do would fill the bill for Kid 4.
Thanks for sharing the links.
It has been a very crazy week following the election. If I had been there, we could have given hugs to one another.
I remember the age 11 and the rapidly changing shoe sizes for your brother. I'm glad that you were able to find some boots at a great price.

Kristi said...

I'm thankful for #5, too. It was great to chat with you! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay, for Pilates, bargains and hugs.