Saturday, October 8, 2016

I'm baaaaaack

When I stopped blogging back in 2013, I told myself that I was going to use my blogging time to get caught up on our photo albums.

Way back in the mid-90s, in a burst of twenty-something enthusiasm, I decided that in addition to a family album, I needed to create an album for each child, so that when they left home, they would have photos and we would have photos.

And then I had four kids.

And we got a digital camera, which resulted in more photos than I thought possible.

I've been behind on the albums for at least a decade. Just when I'm about to get caught up, I visit my family, avid photographers all, and I sink under the deluge of great photos they take of our time together.

I finally broke myself of treating each picture as if it might be the only remaining documentation of someone's life. (Having a mother who is an avid genealogist can have some weird effects on a person. My kids are millennials. An underdocumented life is not going to be a problem they face.)

I embraced digital scrapbooking, which allows me to create pages for five photo albums for the effort of one.  

The photo albums are still exhausting, and I do almost anything to avoid working on them. The truth is, I suffer decision fatigue about 20 seconds in to each scrapbooking session.

Of the three similar photos of the kids in this location, should I pick shot 1, 2, or 3? How many pictures do I need of our time in the botanical gardens in Copenhagen? Do I have too many photos of Kid4, who is still young enough to like posing for photos, and not enough of the self-conscious teenagers? Do I have to include one photo of each person on each day of our trip?

Too. Many. Decisions.

However.

Twice in the last month, I've found myself looking things up in past blog posts, and I realized that I miss not having a blog record of the past three-and-a-half years.

And I'm egotistical enough to think I have things that are worth saying, and I miss not having a platform.

So I've decided to jump back into blogging, photo albums be damned.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I'm excited that you're blogging again! The Ten Things of Thankful blog hop could use another participant. Wink wink. It's not too late to join in this weekend!
As for scrapbooks, I think my 2 oldest MIGHT have photos as teens in their scrapbooks, but the others are still little kids, according to the scrapbooks.

Minda said...

I'm not sure it will be a weekly thing, but I'd like to participate sometimes. Preferably on a week when I'm not coughing up a lung.

Pat B said...

I just discovered that you were blogging again. It looks like we both jumped back into the blogging scene again about the same time without knowing the other's decision to do so. I hope you get over that cold very quickly.