Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eight (!) Spring and Summer Soups

I'm not cooking soup today (Michael's in Toronto on his yearly writing retreat and it's been so blasted hot I am not turning on the stove), so I decided to play catch-up on writing about soup.

Emily's Springtime Salmon Chowder--This is a quick and easy soup with potato, onion, garlic, and asparagus in addition to cream and salmon. Yum. Five thumbs up. There is a note that you can also add snow peas, which I think I will do next year.

Sweet Pea Soup with Early Chives--Some weeks, you worry about the soup. This was one of those weeks. Michael is not a fan of split pea soup, and it's not one of my favorites either, so I was not expecting to like a pea soup without even the benefit of ham. (Although the suggested side dish, Green Bean, Cherry Tomato and Bacon Salad, sounded like it would be tasty even if the soup wasn't.) I also wimped out slightly and used the ground nutmeg in my cupboard, instead of the freshly-grated whole nutmeg I was supposed to use. I remained skeptical even as I set the soup on the table. It's green. Vivid green. And yet, when all was said and done, pretty tasty. Five thumbs hovering between so-so and up. Not one I'll probably add to the menu next year, but one I might pull out if I find myself with five cups of fresh peas I don't know what to do with. (The salad, however, will be served more regularly.)

I skipped the next week, because we spent the weekend in the Adirondacks.

Penne, Asparagus, and Peas in Parmesan Broth--For this soup, the author recommends augmenting store-bought chicken broth by simmering vegetables, herbs, and a Parmesan cheese rind to infuse the broth with more flavor. It required a little more planning, but it definitely added to the flavor of the soup. This soup is great comfort food, with the crisped prosciutto on top adding a nice touch. Five thumbs up.

Paella Soup--Michael loved paella when we were in Spain, so I switched things around to serve this on Father's Day. He, EM, and IM loved it. (I can't remember how NB voted.) I didn't, although I'm not sure why. It's stuffed full of yummy ingredients--shrimp, chicken, chorizo, and white wine. Maybe it was the ghost of bad Spanish food past getting in the way of my taste buds.

Thai-Style Lemongrass Soup with Shrimp--EM looked at me like I had two heads when I said I didn't like this soup, but I didn't. (I'm not sure EM has met seafood he didn't find tasty.) I think the problem was that you are supposed to simmer the broth with lemongrass and lime slices. Since I couldn't find lemongrass even at the big Shaw's, I substituted lemon slices to go with the lime slices. There was an aftertaste to the broth that I found unpleasant. Michael, EM, and IM were thumbs up. NB and I were thumbs down. I would be willing to try this one again if I ever find myself in possession of some lemongrass.

Avocado Soup with Fresh Tomato Salsa--This was the first of the cold summer soups. It is essentially liquid guacamole, and therefore quite tasty. It doesn't really feel like dinner though, more like a dip for tortilla chips. As a dip, it got four thumbs up. (EM detests avocado, a weird blip in an otherwise sophisticated palate.) As a soup, we didn't quite know what to think.

Icy Cucumber Soup with Smoked Salmon and Dill--Michael is not a fan of cold soup, so he preferred to heat his up in the microwave after the first bite or two. He said it's good that way. I thought it was quite tasty chilled, as it is meant to be served. I wouldn't mind having it again. Three thumbs up, one shrug (NB), and one thumbs-up if heated.

Victorine's Gazpacho--Delicious, especially since I was able to get the tomatoes, green peppers and green onions at the farmer's market. I will definitely make this next summer. Five thumbs up. I served it with Crab and Avocado Sandwiches, which were also tasty. Even EM liked them, as he said the crab covered up the taste of the avocado.

There you have it. We are all caught up.

No comments: