Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sunday Soups 5 and 6

We had our first soup fail, but it wasn't the one I expected.

Ever since my first skim through the book, I've dreaded the day I had to serve Celery Bisque. The fact that it was to be served with Stilton Toasts improved it slightly, but not enough for me to stop worrying. Really, is there any vegetable more boring than celery? Celery Bisque seemed like the soup equivalent of celery sticks. Palatable enough, but certainly not a meal. I even made dessert as a culinary apology.

Surprisingly, it was quite good. It tastes a lot like the cream of broccoli soup I frequently make. Thumbs up all around (except for LW, of course).

This week was Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Prosciutto and Parmesan. Eh. Some of it might be the fault of my blender, which didn't do a great job pureeing it, but only IM and EM (who, frankly, will eat just about anything they can get in their mouths these days) gave this a thumbs up. Michael, NB, and I were neutral. I approached the leftovers quite glumly at Monday lunch. Its strongest asset is that it's a way to use up two entire heads of cauliflower. As I slowly move toward my goal of more seasonal and local eating, that's something to consider.

I have to say that I finished this soup off at lunch today, after taking a break yesterday, and I found it quite delicious. I still probably won't make it again unless I find myself in possession of large quantities of cauliflower.

No comments: