Friday, May 28, 2010

O's Sneaky Marketing

I received an envelope in the mail from the Office of Credit & Adjustments of O, The Oprah Magazine. The envelope had IMPORTANT ACCOUNT INFORMATION across the front.

I thought this was odd, since I haven't subscribed to O in years, but I was curious enough to open the envelope.

The top of the letter said "Credit Amount: -$42.00." The fine print informed me that due to my "credit adjustment" I needed to pay only $12.

Does anyone actually fall for sneak marketing like this? Are there people mailing in their $12 today because they think they owe it, not realizing that if they aren't getting O and don't want to get it, they owe nothing?

The marketing department at O clearly doesn't think much of their potential readers.

2 comments:

WendyandGabe said...

Oh, stuff like that makes me so mad!

PixelFish said...

That's awful. I would write to the BBB and also Oprah's company, Harpo, and complain.